Neighbour Disputes

Neighbour disputes can arise all too often around issues such as the location of services, the cost of repairs, use of a shared driveway and contributions towards the cost of fencing.

Issues may arise such as:

  • Which area am I entitled to park on?
  • A drain has broken, whose responsibility is it to fix it and at whose cost?
  • Can I ask my neighbour to contribute towards the cost of building a new fence between our properties?

If not dealt with early, these issues can upset neighbourly relationships and cause tension. You need to take the right advice about what your rights are and what you can do to resolve the issue quickly and cost efficiently.

neighbour disputes

How Collins & May can help you solve these issues

The first step will be to check the title to your property. This is where we can help. We will give you advice regarding what forms part of your property and the areas you are entitled to use and for what purpose (known as a right of way).

There may be an easement registered on the title which sets out your rights and obligations regarding services that run through your or your neighbour’s property. We will let you know who is responsible for this cost and practical solutions moving forward.

You may be required to engage the services of a surveyor.

Engage our services

If you’re feeling unsure about what your rights and obligations are, get in contact with us. Our team will give you advice on your situation and practical options to resolve a dispute.