Skip to main content

What is a dissolution? Is it the same as a divorce?

In New Zealand a dissolution of marriage is the legal term for a divorce. You may have questions around the process:

  • How long do you have to wait to have a marriage dissolved?
  • What is involved in the process?
  • What is the likely cost?

Contact our team of experts at Collins & May Law to take you through the process.

A marriage can be dissolved when:

  • You and your spouse have been living apart for at least 2 years; and
  • At least one of you is domiciled in New Zealand.

You are considered domiciled in New Zealand if:

  • You were born in New Zealand and have not moved overseas with the intention of remaining there for an indefinite time; or
  • You were born overseas and live in New Zealand with an intention of remaining here for an indefinite period of time.
Commercial Lease Renewals

What is involved in the process? How do you apply for a dissolution of marriage?

An application for a dissolution of marriage needs to be made to the Family Court and a filing fee is paid to the Court.

There are two different types of applications. The application can be made by both spouses jointly by consent and filed in the Court. Alternatively if this is not possible, an application is made by one spouse and once filed, is served on the other spouse. A joint application by both spouses where possible will be quicker and there is less cost involved.

An application to the Court involves the preparation of legal documents including an affidavit to be signed by the Applicant. This is where we can help.

Need help with the process? Get in touch with one of our team today

Collins and May Law are experienced in these Court applications. Contact us for advice on the process. We can prepare the documents and take away the hassle and stress of having to navigate the requirements yourself.